[nycphp-talk] Zend IDE problems and the Apple MACs as develomentplatforms

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 18:01:51 EST 2006

On 12/13/06, Jeff Loiselle <jeff.loiselle at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade.. but I've had my MacBook
> Pro since April and it's already been in the shop twice in the last 4
> weeks for broken fans. I love the thing and all, but is literally the
> first laptop I've owned that I've ever had to send in for service.
>
> Surf YouTube for MacBook pro noises to hear the wails and screams that
> some of them make.
>
> Otherwise, I'd say go for it. Zend works great when the fans aren't
> eroding the inner casing.

Fewer problems with more recent units, but Apple's quality control is
obviously not what it once was.

I highly recommend smcFanControl to set a minimum threshold fan speed
on your MacBook Pro. Apple _should_ provide a control panel for it,
but they don't. Real shame, too, because the motherboard is apparently
capable of much fine tuning when it comes to power consumption, chip
speed, temperature and the like.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/