[nycphp-talk] Deep Linking with AJAX?

Peter Sawczynec ps at pswebcode.com
Fri Dec 15 11:43:45 EST 2006

It is worth noting that Flash (and similarly PDFs, video files,
typically any streaming media) have all suffered from this
lack of deep linking right from the get go --
and all of these 'alternative to XHTML' products have prospered
and their web penetration is so significant that it is
these 'hampered' alternative web presentation vehicles that
are muscling the Internet up to the next level of
profound usage.

Personally, I have already completely adapted to any web sites
with powerful "on-demand" page(s)/section(s) that don't bookmark.

The connection is so fast and the web application interfaces so
finely tooled and responsive that I barely notice that I need to
"run the interface again". Indeed all the sites I use that need
me to "run the interface again" provide me only the most current,
Critically accurate results and I desire that more than I want
handy dandy bookmarks.

I feel that this URL issue that AJAX raises is important and
timely. The inability to deep link an AJAXed page is
telling the developer something. It is saying that this
data/content/page is too time-sensitive to bookmark and the
AJAX usage may need to be rejiggered.

I believe as Chris notes further down in the thread that if
you are experiencing an AJAX deep linking issue then you
may not be putting AJAX (or Flash) to the best use.

Use AJAX to update portions of pages with critical dynamic changeable
content segments that likely should not be bookmarked.

Tell your client that AJAX interfaces when properly used on their
site project an impression of powerful "on-demand" data return
and presentation output. And this is more valuable to the power user
than linking convenience.

Warmest regards,

Peter Sawczynec
Technology Dir.