[nycphp-talk] Creating thumbnails images of videos using PHP.

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 16:59:27 EST 2006

On 12/16/06, Shadab Wadiwala <shadab_w at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> HI,
>
> I would like to create a still thumbnail image out of movie when i upload
> thru a form.
>
> do any one know how to do such things.
>
> I have several movies to list out with thumbnails and when u click , run
> them in windows media player within browser.
>
> Also I wanna know how to embed windows media player inside a webpage for
> playing videos.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Shadab .I. Wadiwala

If you like browsing MSDN, you'll find relevant info here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmpsdk11/mmp_sdk/usingtheplayercontrolinawebpage.asp

Frankly, it might be easier to find an example of an embedded player
somewhere that matches what you want to do, and then use the same
technique.

MS lost a patent dispute last winter, and rather than pay some
ridiculous amount in licensing fees they decided to break the <object>
tag in MSIE. Developers who wish to embed QuickTime or Flash (and
presumably Windows Media) in their pages are forced to use an
externally-loaded Javascript function to do it. Ick.

As for image thumbnails from video, I know how to script this for
QuickTime on a Mac, but that doesn't sound like that will help you.
Ideally, you want some kind of command line tool that provides access
to Media Player's API.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/