[nycphp-talk] Web Traffic Analytics

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 12:05:33 EST 2006

On 2/24/06, Mitch Pirtle <mitch.pirtle at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/23/05, inforequest <1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
> > This is another case of convenience and perhaps customer ignorance trumping security. These are log-file analysis programs, which operate after-the-fact on server files which contain proprietary company data. Do they really need to be "live" on a public web server?
>
> I'd like to revive this thread and ask if there are any good FOSS
> offline analysis tools available. Say a fat-client app that can chew
> up logfiles on a local machine, and that generates (pretty formatted)
> reports.
>
> Would be nice to know if something like that exists out there,
> especially in the FOSS world...

And AWStats doesn't cut it?

I rsync server logs to a separate box nightly, and then awstats.pl
chews through them and generates its databases. The result is a
relatively pretty, formatted report.

The bonus is that the logs are backed up if the server goes belly-up.
And you only have to maintain one instance of AWStats. This saves a
lot of maintenance when generating stats for multiple hosts, because
each host config can include a global config that has the bulk of the
configuration directives.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/