[nycphp-talk] Fault tolerant server architecture

Cliff Hirsch cliff at pinestream.com
Thu Jan 19 11:11:06 EST 2006

Ok, so this may be a bit off topic, but I am trying to determine a cost
effective architecture for a classic PHP/MySQL site that is fault
tolerant and can scale-out if needed.

At one extreme I view the minimum configuration as a simple dedicated
server.

But being a bit paranoid, at the other extreme, I have been getting
quotes for a configuration that uses a Firewall, load balancer, two web
servers, and two database servers (one master, one slave for backups).
Of course with additional backups (local & offsite), RAID, hot swap
power supplies, etc. I skipped the armed guards, tasers, and off planet
options. And so far, I am ignoring the people that are telling me that
if I want to be really serious, I should use Oracle, not MySQL.

If I could stick this in my basement, the price wouldn't even be so bad.
But that's not realistic. With a managed service provider, the charge is
thousands per month. With co-location -- don't know. Haven't priced it
and then I need a sysadmin anyway. Co-lo isn't cheap either.

I would be funding this out of my own pocket. Am I nuts? What are other
people doing to ensure availability at a reasonable price point?