[nycphp-talk] Building trees

Brian O'Connor gatzby3jr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 00:08:46 EDT 2006

I'm using mysql (sorry, should have posted it on that list instead of talk).

I looked into the NSM, however my fear is the insert / update time.  The
site is based on flexibility of being able to change your 'events'.

I'm still weighing the pros and cons of each method.

Thanks for all the input, its greatly appreciated.

- Brian

On 7/27/06, Steve Manes <smanes at magpie.com> wrote:

> Brian O'Connor wrote:
> > Right now I'm building a site that has a "tree" like structure, and
> > right now in order to get the children I'm using a recursive function to
> > get them all, works fine, but that strikes me as inefficient and I'm
> > trying to find a way to get it with one query, rather than a variable
> > amount of queries based on how many 'events' a user has.
>
> If you're using PostgreSQL, I highly recommend loading the 'tablefunc'
> package in the /contrib directory.  It includes support for an
> Oracle-like CONNECT BY/START WITH, which makes supporting a tree
> structure easy-breezy.

> NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
> http://www.nyphpcon.com

Brian O'Connor