[nycphp-talk] Why the light has gone out on LAMP

Peter Sawczynec ps at pswebcode.com
Thu Jun 8 07:38:33 EDT 2006

Forward progress in any field, even the hi tech, is actually a very
incremental uptick of new knowledge and technique applied on top of existent
knowledge. Great creators in every field will readily admit that they stand
on the shoulders of previous giants. As we do even with PHP.

Therefore, I believe there is nothing, not even a spate of misapplied
technique that cannot be refocused and refined within a single generation of
new PHP product and developers.

Just as PHP is actually a compendium of many fine minds at work delivering
slices of solution, then the necessary refocus of all PHP programming on the
more enterprise-ready, flexible, matured OOP technique should start right
here, right now with any and all of us.

To the tech writers, to the tutors, to the paid consultants brought in to
teach a team, to the book writers, to the module creators, to the project
leaders, to the book editors, the conference leaders, the industry leaders,
and the gurus that watchfully circle the fire:

I believe that we can all enhance our product with a single well-applied
master stroke: Start teaching the OOP paradigm, first thing, right out of
the box. Make it the first essential construct that needs to be bridged to
youthful developers. No more first step "echo 'hello world';" examples,
instead go straight to something more like: "class output{ function
present_output($matter){ return $matter; } } $msg = new output();
$msg->present_output('Hello World'); echo $msg;".

Why not segue OOP examples and techniques into all your new instructional
material right now.

I believe that within 1 - 2 years we could have almost all PHP product
totally converted to OOP, have new people coming in ready set for OOP work,
and have a giant pool of teaching material and product that is all OOP.

Like others here note, I do independent programming for the certain
freedoms, direct hands-on responsibility, the pretty fine earning potential,
and, yes, even the satisfaction of helping a business use their resources
more competitively and more cost-effectively.

So if we want i) an optimized PHP product, ii) new developers ready set to
go straight to OOP enterprise dev, and iii) developers and the product gain
more share of mind, more market share, and ultimately more dollars
potential: it is time to switch more and more to the OOP paradigm from the
get go.

To those unthanked early adapters already implementing OOP in your
instructional material, we salute you.

Warmest regards,

Peter Sawczynec,
Technology Director