[nycphp-talk] Working with PDF

Peter Sawczynec ps at pswebcode.com
Fri Jun 9 17:14:48 EDT 2006

Maybe see also:
http://www.ros.co.nz/pdf/

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: talk-bounces at lists.nyphp.org [mailto:talk-bounces at lists.nyphp.org] On
Behalf Of Aaron Fischer
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 1:47 PM
To: NYPHP Talk
Subject: [nycphp-talk] Working with PDF

Greetings!

I'm beginning a project that will involve creating PDF documents.  So
far my research has turned up PDFlib
(http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ref.pdf.php) and FPDF (http://www.fpdf.org/).

So far it seems that FPDF will do what I need.  It has the added benefit
of being free (as opposed to PDFlib which would run at least $450).

Have folks used FPDF?  Would you recommend it?

Are there are any other means to generate PDF that you would recommend?

If helpful, here's a brief project summary:
I am developing an application that will allow nontraditional students
to apply for admission to our college.  The user will be able to create
an account and work on her application, saving and returning at any time
(data will be stored in MySQL).  The PDF aspect comes into play when the
applicant would like to preview the application with her data populating
the fields.  It will also be used for our support staff to print the
applications once they are completed.

Here's the blank application which would need to be created and
populated with student data (application is pages 2-4, instructions are
on page 1):
http://www.smith.edu/admission/pdf/nontraditional_application05.pdf

Cheers,

-Aaron