[nycphp-talk] [OT] Re: DTD choice help?

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Sun Jun 11 23:47:50 EDT 2006

-sry Boston sryboston-at-hotmail.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

> Umm, John, your reply not only has nothing at all to do with my ACTUAL
> question, but it sounds like a spammy sales pitch.

Of all people, I understand what it means to deal with web hosting. NONE
of them are straight forward. If you think a newbie has trouble picking
a DTD (a trivial problem easily answered here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=DTD try the first result) then you
are in for a surprise dealing with chrooted jails and PHP as CGI and all
of the other "unmentionables" that come with shared hosting.

As some on this list can attest, I have had tons of problems with
Dreamhost. I have also had tons of success with Dreamhost (ditto for
westhost,  serverbeach, and Hostway, and Rackspace, and ev1, and dozens
of others). For someone who wants to start inserting <?= into their
DHTML, to start learning what PHP can do with them, IMHO the first step
is to get on a platform where it really is an easy as inserting those
codes.

As for "spammy sales pitch" well perhaps that's because I created a
promo code that gives away the affiliate commission as a discount? I see
they even allow $97 off now, so I could even make it $97 off if I had a
reason to go back in and make a new promo code. I don't.

> I have *no* intention of leaving GoDaddy, *love* their service,
> features, etc. and can't imagine why you'd be pitching me to change
> hosts other than you are trying to sell something on a list dedicated
> to discussing technical issues...kinda off topic, aren't you? Please
> stop spamming tech lists or at least change the subject to "shameless
> self-promotion" or something.

So I suppose I should let you learn the hard way that you should *never*
host with your registrar? Okay.

(not to the rest of the Talk list: think very carefully about hosting
with your registrar, especially one that begins with GO and ends with
Daddy see
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=godaddy+ransom&btnG=Search for
just one set of examples).

Welcome to PHP Talk, sry. Make yourself at home. Don't let the old
timers intimidate you.

-=john andrews
http://www.seo-fun.com