[nycphp-talk] php for mailing list app?

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Mon Jun 26 17:16:38 EDT 2006

Keeping the user apprised of progress in the back end... Sounds like a
candidate for AJAXification, doesn't it? You could have some Javascript
send an XmlHttpRequest to a back end that reports progress, and update DIV
element with progress information. No? (I'm tentative b/c I'm an AJAX
newbie at best).

More generally, a few months ago I tried writing something similar to what
Robin is attempting and discovered that (at least for me, under my set of
constraints) it was a lot harder than it should have been. The shared host
(pair Networks) doesn't want people mass-emailing with their system, CLI
or otherwise. So I tried running it from my very own box instead, but
because I am clueless and do not have a properly configured mail server,
things were going out with malformed headers and being identified as spam
by a lot of systems on the receiving end, and I got my IP blacklisted by
SpamHaus et al.

The PEAR Mail_Queue class is nice but there's something peculiar to me
about saving the very same message text n times, once for each recipient.
Why?

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, robyn overstreet wrote:

> On 6/26/06, Donald J Organ IV <dorgan at optonline.net> wrote:
> > Well create a cron job that runs every x amount of minutes that looks
> > for messages that have say the Send field set to 1 in the database.
>
> Great! That makes sense.
>
> Still wondering how to let the user know the status of the process
> from the browser. Obviously, the browser PHP could check the database
> repeatedly to see if the send field is set to 0, but that might create
> a long wait also. Additionally, is it reasonable to query the database
> in a cron job every minute? Every 5 minutes? The client will probably
> only use the app weekly or monthly, but of course it needs to be ready
> at any time.

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their
persons, houses, papers, and effects, against
unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be
violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon
probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation,
and particularly describing the place to be
searched, and the persons or things to be seized.