[nycphp-talk] $_server['server_name'] versus $_server[http-host']

Andrew Yochum andrew at plexpod.com
Thu Mar 16 14:11:19 EST 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 01:23:35PM -0500, Cliff Hirsch wrote:
> 'SERVER_NAME' -- The name of the server host under which the current
> script is executing. If the script is running on a virtual host, this
> will be the value defined for that virtual host.

This is provided by the web server

> 'HTTP_HOST' -- Contents of the Host: header from the current request, if
> there is one.

This is provided by the client and is therefore tainted.

> So in English that means? Aren't these the same thing?

Usually, except when you have a vhost w/ a bunch of other aliases
(ServerAlias directive in Apache) like you describe below.

> If I have several URLs points at the same server and want to setup my
> links to refer to the URL that was originally submitted, does this mean
> I should be using http_host, not server_name?

Yes, but consider the above.  Validate it as if it were form data.

HTH,
Andrew

--
Andrew Yochum