[nycphp-talk] not including '.php' in URI

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Fri Mar 17 17:18:18 EST 2006

Rahmin Pavlovic rahmin-at-insite-out.com |nyphp dev/internal group use|
wrote:

>As in:  http://server.com/file points to file.php in web root.
>
>Is there an added benefit to this?
>
>I implemented this somewhere thinking it was a more elegant solution,
>assuming there were other added benefits to this approach, but I'm now being
>asked what those are and am falling short on my googling..

haha never execute a tactic without a defined objective... if it has
side effects that will come back to bite you ;-)
(in other words, don't rock the boat doh!)

What are the "added benefits" ?

- you look more like a Web2.0 app
- you make it easier for people who use search engines to find PHP
materials (instead of  .php files)
- you make management wonder if you really are using java for web
development like they think you should
- you are more "search engine friendly" by the 2004 definition

Seriously, how about:

- you establish the potential for long-lived URLs that survive a change
in technology (weak excuse, not likely, but theoretically ok)
- you are slightly more search engine friendly
- your URLs are slightly more user friendly, more likely to get
remembered, bookmarked, etc.
- friendlier URLs are more likely to get backlinks, and deep backlinks
are more desireable than root backlinks
- it leaves more room for innovation down the road (ties into the first
reason on this list...long-lived URLs)

Hope that helps a little.

-=john andrews
Competitive Webmaster  http://www.seo-fun.com