[nycphp-talk] AJAX and character encoding

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Mon May 8 10:24:07 EDT 2006

On Mon, 8 May 2006, tedd wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are simply injecting code into a
> static web page, isn't it the <meta... utf-8> tab of the page that
> sets the charset?
>
> Ajax simply prompts a php routine to prepare stuff for ajax to take
> back an inject into whatever you want between html tags, right? At
> least that's the way I'm doing it -- but, I'm simple that way.

Without doing any research, I would also guess the setting the charset
via a meta or HTTP header should fix this.

If not, does you server have the iconv() extension enabled? That lets
you convert between arbitrary character sets.

-adam

--
adam at trachtenberg.com | http://www.trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's "upgrading to php 5" and "php cookbook"