[nycphp-talk] Alphanumeric Range

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Thu May 11 16:50:31 EDT 2006

>tedd wrote:

>>>  Hmmmm, if you want to tell this joke out loud, how do you pronounce "10" ?
>>
>>  Ten
>>
>>  It's still "ten" regardless of what the dictionary may say. Ten is
>>  not defined by the base 10.
>>
>>  For example, you don't say "one" is not "one" because it belongs to
>>  another base, do you?
>>
>>  Or, as in the case of base 16, you don't have another pronunciation
>>  for "A", do you?
>>
>>  Such as in:
>>
>>  1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,10
>>
>>  10 in any number system is still ten.
>>
>>  tedd
>

>Not exactly.  Ten is merely a name we give to the digit sequence 1 0
>when representing a number in base 10.

Nope, it's the name I give to any number representing a base placeholder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placeholder

Follow Free_variables_and_bound_variables link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_variables_and_bound_variables

Ten is simply a variable meant to represent the second placeholder in a number.

>If you called 10 base 2 Ten, what would you call 1010 base 2?

One thousand ten.

Thousand is simply a variable meant to represent the fourth
placeholder in a number.

>If you were saying 10 base 2 out loud, you should probably just say Two,
>though that kind of defeats the purpose of the joke...
>
>Dan

What about "ten" in Hex? How do you say that out loud?

tedd