[nycphp-talk] Are SDO objects "REST"-ful?

Graham Charters CHARTERS at uk.ibm.com
Thu May 25 03:24:21 EDT 2006

Hi Jon,  some answers to your questions regarding SDO, REST and the Zend
Framework.  I hope this helps clarify things.  Let me know if you have any
more questions.

> After going through PDO -> Zend_DB* classes I came across the IBM SDO
> presentation and was wondering if SDO was meant to place RESTful CRUD
> methods inside of objects and if it was going to be (or something
> similar) included w/ the Zend Framework?

SDO's are not intended to contain any business methods, including CRUD.
They are a data structure that is designed for working with data from
various data sources, such as databases or XML.  They can optionally track
modifications which have been made to them, but this is for database
concurrency support rather than REST.

There are currently no plans to include SDO in the Zend Framework.

I only mention the following to help clarify the scope of SDO, and identify
areas of possible future interest:
Related to SDO is a technology called SCA (Service Component Architecture -
see http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/specification/ws-sca/ ).
This describes how to create Web services which can be implemented using
SDOs for the data structures.  REST style services are within the scope of
SCA, but are not currently covered by it.  Also, there is currently no PHP
implementation of SCA :-(

Regards,

Graham.

Graham Charters PhD CEng MBCS CITP
SWG AB Projects
IBM UK Ltd, MP 146, Hursley Park, Winchester, SO21 2JN, UK
Tel:  (Ext) +44-1962-816527     (Int) 7-246527   (Fax) +44-1962-818999
Internet: charters at uk.ibm.com