[nycphp-talk] [OT] live slide-show delivery via browser only

charlie wang natrindex at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 3 19:59:58 EST 2006

Hi,
I use a slide show package to have live stock chart on my site. It migt not be the one you are looking for:
http://www.nutraceuticalforums.com/slideShow/index.php
If interested, you can find a link to the original package over there.

Charlie.

Allen Shaw <ashaw at polymerdb.org> wrote: Hi All,

I'm looking for a free/OSS (preferably PHP-oriented) solution to this
problem:  Deliver paged content (eg., typical still-frame slide show) to
any number of viewers via the web browser only, while providing only the
host/operator with the controls to advance the slides in real time;  and
don't require the user to have anything other than a decent Internet
connection and fairly modern browser.

If nobody knows of an existing package like this, it seems it would be
fairly simple to build, no?  Page-forward/back/jump commands could be
sent by the operator to a database or file on the server, and some
Javascript in the viewer could be monitoring the server for those
commands and then adjust the display accordingly.

Question: Is this
a) so self-apparent and easy that nobody's bothered to develop a package
for it?
b) much more complicated than I've explained and thus potentially a
waste of time?
or
c)  contained already in some fairly simple CGI package you know about
and I don't?

Thanks,
Allen

--