[nycphp-talk] MySQL GPL License

Timothy Boyden tboyden at supercoups.com
Fri Nov 10 16:05:54 EST 2006

First off IANAL. Generally speaking this is not true unless you license
your application with an Open-Source license that has that provision.
Your application itself can be licensed in any way you want, but if you
distribute it commercially, you will probably have to purchase a
commercial license for PHP and MySQL. You as the author have the sole
copyright to the code (or if your work contract specifies, your company
does) and therefore you (or your company) decide how it is licensed and
ultimately whether or not the source code can be requested. Just because
you use Open-Source software doesn't mean your application has to be,
but by using Open-Source code in your application you do need to adbide
by the associated applications' distribution licensing terms if you plan
to package it in with your application. For instance Oracle makes use of
a lot of Open-Source software in their apps, but you can't get their
source code. Same with Sun.

-Tim