[nycphp-talk] MySQL GPL License

Anirudh Zala arzala at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 22:55:48 EST 2006

On Saturday 11 November 2006 02:15, Brian Dailey wrote:
> Ok, this may sound like a stupid question, but bear with me.
>
> First, the quote:
>
> "If you build an intranet application and deploy it inside your
> organisation, your users can request the source code and legally you
> have to give it to them. It’s not likely that they will know that you’re
> running the GPL version of MySQL so that they have the right to request
> it but legally you have to provide the source code upon request."

As far as I know, there is not any licensing term that gives right to user to
request owner of the software to provide it's source code. Because user is
using service generated out of that software and not the software itself.

Moreover until something is under your domain/control, (i.e. no matter how
much amount of deployment you make of your software under your control all
over the world) you are not bound to provide any kind of source code of your
software to anyone.

Licensing terms comes into consideration only when you THINK about
re-distribution, selling etc. of your software, which is made of one or more
open-source softwares. Correct me I am wrong anywhere.

Anirudh Zala