[nycphp-talk] OT: Recommendations for web hosting services with extremely good uptimes?

Tom Melendez tom at supertom.com
Thu Nov 16 09:51:58 EST 2006

Hey Folks,

I'd like to offer my (brief, I promise) opinion on this having been on
both sides of the fence (offering and evaluating an SLA).  I also want
to note that I am coming into the middle of this thread, so I may have
missed the initial requirements.

We all want 100% uptime, which as Ken said, is only good until the
first time they are down.  Really, what you want is someone who
promises a respectable uptime and has a process in place to make it
happen.

What about an SLA?  Well, my experience has been that SLA's really
amount to "well, if we're down and you complain, we'll refund you your
money for the month (or period of time)."  No SLA that I have ever
seen reads, "If we're down, show us how much you lost in revenue
(e-commerce site) and/or lost productivity (mega-corporation) in that
time and we'll cut you a check immediately".

I admit it has been a few years so it totally possible that this has
changed, but I doubt it.

Tom
http://www.liphp.org