[nycphp-talk] PHP Development on the Road (Advice Needed)

Rolan Yang rolan at omnistep.com
Sat Nov 18 07:30:05 EST 2006

I've been on a cruise ship sailing the southern Caribbean for the past
week and half. Prior to leaving, I configured the home network to allow
ssh into the the servers and VNC to my desktop machine (never know when
you need emergency access to your desktop!). Wi-Fi and internet cafe
rates on the ship are expensive at 50 cents/min. Upon boarding, I signed
on for the $100 "unlimited internet from the cabin" package which
basically offers a ship compatible telephone with an analog port.
Connectivity is via dial-up and the max speed is 46.6 kbps. Latency over
the satellite link, surprisingly, isn't that bad. SSH works fine and
TightVNC with high compression is usable, despite the low bandwidth. I'm
able to effectively keep watch and tune my all clients servers remotely
over ssh or their vpn. Skype ports are blocked on the local network, but
Net2phone works so I can do voip phone calls for "free" avoiding the
$7.99/min ship rate. The internet was particularly useful for the rental
car situation prior to arriving at Curacao. I woke up, browsed the web
for that to do on the island, then google'd for rental car discount
codes and reserved the car online 2 hrs prior to arrival. Ended up
saving about $50 (and the hassles of possibly not having a car). $100
for 9 days of internet is kind of steep, but it's written off as a
business expense and the alternative would have probably been much
worse. I should write up a howto faq on being an IT ocean warrior. And
now I have figure out how to lose the 10 lbs gained from eating all that
buffet food!

~Rolan