[nycphp-talk] mod_rewrite -- what's the big deal?

Scott Mattocks scott at crisscott.com
Tue Oct 10 10:36:13 EDT 2006

paul at devonianfarm.com wrote:
> The web is a powerful unifier -- I see the real "enemy" as desktop
> applications.  The transition from the "Office" paradigm to web apps that help
> people work together will keep PHP programmers busy for many years.

The web is not just websites. There are plenty of ways to communicate on
the web without using HTML. Desktop applications can be used to help
people work together just as well as (and in some cases more effectively
and efficiently than) web apps. Don't dismiss the desktop app as "the
old way". After all, its a desktop app (web browser) that makes all web
apps even possible. Also, don't forget that desktop apps can be written
entirely with PHP!

<disclaimer>I have a vested interest in PHP desktop applications
:)</disclaimer>

--
Scott Mattocks
Author of: Pro PHP-GTK