[nycphp-talk] Successor to the Web?

Billy Reisinger billy.reisinger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 23:28:26 EDT 2006

Second Life is cool, but comparing it to teh interweb is not very
enlightening.   Second life is maintained by a private company, and
you need their client on your computer to connect to their world.
They are in control.  With the web, nobody is really in control.
Sure, new standards seem to take ages to be adopted by a majority of
browsers (SVG? UML? CSS3?),  but at least we are free to use whatever
browser to access the web.
ANother thing that the web has over a virtual world like second life
is that it is (at the moment) much more practical for purposes like
online shopping, searching, downloading documents, images, movies,
etc.  Everybody touts the economy of second life as pretty cool, and
it is a cool thing - but it pales in comparison to the $$ spent on
the web as a whole.
RIght now, most major sites rely on some type of server farm to
balance loads, so when they get like 10,000,000 hits in one hour,
they can handle it ok.  Second Life, OOTO, can't handle 60 avatars on
the same sim. It really, really hurts performance.
As far as having a virtual world instead of a flat, http world to
browse, well hell, I would use that for sure.  That is, if my 5 year
old G4 could handle that sort of crap (which it can't).