[nycphp-talk] IT Policies

Ben Sgro (sk) skyline at publicmine.com
Thu Oct 19 15:43:38 EDT 2006

I think code reviews are great, they give people a change to highlight well
done code and
point out errors and common pitfalls.

Plus people can't sneak kludges in as easily.

Having a document that states comment style, code style etc can help as
well.
At my previous job it was required all new highers read the doc.
Having code reviews made sure the guidelines laid out in the doc where
followed.

As you stated, speaking to the other developers to find out what the
standards will be is the best idea,
they hopefully you can avoid disagreements with what style will be
used..since those involved will be
able to voice their opinions.

Less cooks is better, unless it means people are waiting to check stuff in
on live.
If they have a development server that mimics live then its not really a
problem,
they can test and feel pretty condfident about their code before they check
it in.

If you dont have a development server that mimics the live server, I would
get one ASAP.

good luck!

- Ben