[nycphp-talk] XML.com: Introducing OpenLaszlo (is it the new t hang?):-)

Mark Withington mwithington at PLMresearch.com
Sat Oct 21 11:50:53 EDT 2006

Dan,

Please see my brother's response (principal on the Openlaszlo team) below.

Mark

Thanks.  My 2 cents below.  Feel free to forward back to your list
(which I am not on).

> From: talk-bounces at lists.nyphp.org
> [mailto:talk-bounces at lists.nyphp.org]On Behalf Of Dan Horning
> Subject: Re: [nycphp-talk] XML.com: Introducing OpenLaszlo (is it
> the new
> t hang?):-)
>
> out of personal curiosity,
> why aren't they using their own dev tool for their own front end?
> http://www.openlaszlo.org/

Openlaszlo is for creating web apps, not web sites.  The clock on the
home page is an openlaszlo app embedded in an html page.  The
openlaszlo site is just using appropriate (open source) technology
for the task at hand.

If you want to see a site with larger openlaszlo applications, you
should visit the [commercial website](http://www.laszlosystems.com/)
to see some of the customers that are using the technology and their
applications.  To see a full 'web 2.0'-style application running in
openlaszlo, sign up for a free [LaszloMail](http://www.laszlomail.com/
lzmail/) account and try it out.

> If for flash it's great then that's awesome by itself, but what
> applications has it been used in?
> the demos are pretty awesome, but all seem to revolve around flash.

The current runtime is the SWF player, yes, but there is no Flash in
the demos, they are all built from straight Openlaszlo.  Openlaszlo's
strength is to build rich web clients, which can be backed by any xml
content management system, such as php+sql.

If you go to the [demos](http://www.openlaszlo.org/demos), you can
see previews of several of the demos that run _either_ in Flash or
DHTML.  Look for the links that say 'Launch Flash Application' and
'Launch DHTML Application'.  This is the same source code, compiled
to run either on the Flash player or in browser DHTML.  (You can
tell the difference by right-clicking over the app -- you will see
either the Flash player menu or the browser menu.)

> has anyone actually used it that's on this list? what's your dev
> timeline been with OpenLaszlo vs other frameworks?
> I really like the concepts behind OpenLaszlo and would like to chat
> with
> a few people who've used it.

Try the [introduction](http://tinyurl.com/ympnpx).  Join the [mailing
list](mailto:laszlo-user-request at openlaszlo.org).

One last thing:  The article on xml.com by Pillai is a great article,
but it focuses on using the Eclipse-based IDE for laszlo, which is
not _required_ to develop openlaszlo.  You can develop openlaszlo
with any text editor (an xml-aware one is useful), the download from
the openlaszlo site, and your favorite web browser.  It is very easy
to just edit your openlaszlo source, save it out, and reload the page
in your browser to see how it works.

P T Withington
OpenLazslo.ORG                       <http://www.openlaszlo.org>
mailto:ptw at openlaszlo.org      skype:ptwithy     aim:ptw at mac.com