[nycphp-talk] Processing, please wait logic flow question

Dell Sala dell at sala.ca
Tue Oct 31 10:42:28 EST 2006

Cute. And javascript free. :)

However, there is a limitation to this kind of approach: It will only
work for requests that will return before your connection times out.
In many cases, this probably isn't a huge issue as the "slow" script
might only take about 30 seconds to run, or something like that. But
what about a script that builds a large, compressed archive, or runs
a complex index, or something like that. Now were talking minutes,
and the web server will eventually timeout.

That's when you need to fire up that sub-process to run in the
background, and just use the browser to poll the server to check if
the process finished.

-- Dell