[nycphp-talk] Cake v. Symfony

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Thu Sep 7 14:01:49 EDT 2006

David Mintz dmintz-at-davidmintz.org |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, inforequest wrote:
>

>>David Mintz dmintz-at-davidmintz.org |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:
>>

>>>I used to be a big Smarty fan but coming under the spell of CakePHP and
>>>seeing the intelligent way it uses/wants you to use good old PHP for
>>>building views, my love of Smarty has cooled off.
>>>

>>If David Mintz switching from Smarty to Cake is not a call for a Symfony
>>presentation at NYPHP, I'm a duck. I can't do it. Maybe somebody can?
>>

>Oh no! You seem to be saying Symfony is better, so off I go to
>http://www.symfony-project.com/ and start sniffing at it... just what I
>need, another crisis of faith. To continue learning to bake, or try to
>become a composer instead?
>
>Seriously, they both look like they have their strengths and weaknesses.
>Cake seems a little rough-edged and the documentation is uneven, but it
>doesn't make you write a lot of YAML.

Yes, David, maybe Symfony is better (nudge nudge) and maybe cleaner
(nudge), or easier to follow without docs (nudge nudge) or perhaps the
docs are more complete. I can't *tell* you these things with mere words;
you need to *experence* them (nudge nudge) in order to fully appreciate
the symfony/cake comparisons (nudge nudge). Oh, and be sure to report
back to the talk list, ok?   ;-)

-=john andrews
http://www.johnon.com