[nycphp-talk] PHP and MySQL projects to include in a portfolio.

Peter Sawczynec ps at pswebcode.com
Fri Sep 8 11:20:36 EDT 2006

You should further study the topic: 'database normalization' to get more
grasp of
how to handle table relationships as the industry has generally settled on.

The following type of three table structure should offer solution to your
issue.
Roughly creating as follows should get you started.

"Employee" table fields:
ID
Employee_ID
First_Name
Last_Name
Address

"Employee_Attrributes" table fields:
ID
Employee_ID
Category_ID

"Available_Categories" table fields:
ID
Category_Name

"Employee" table and "Employee_Attributes" tables have an infinitely
expandable, one to many, primary key to foreign key relationship.

Save a new row entry into "Employee_Attributes" table every time an Employee
is added to a new category.
Then perform multi-table SELECT queries using JOIN, LEFT JOIN, or RIGHT JOIN
when you need to get the Employee category info.

That should tide you over.

Warmest regards,

Peter Sawczynec,
Technology Director