[nycphp-talk] PHP and MySQL projects to include in a portfolio.

LK lk613m at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 8 10:35:22 EDT 2006

Neil,

I happen to be struggling now with a database issue that might interest you and
I'd welcome and appreciate suggestions from the group.

My issue is: With a relational database how do you represent and navigate a
tree with unlimited number of levels and branches ? Example: categorization
hierarchy. Let's say you have a table of Employees. Now you want to categorize
them by Job_Type: clerk, secretary, manager, etc. But each one of these can be
further sub-categorized, e.g. Manager: production, purchasing, accounting etc.
Each one of those can also be sub-categorized in an unlimited recursive
fashion.

One could try constructing a table with columns: level_0 level_1 level_2 etc.
where level_0 holds the 0-th level categories, level_1 - first level
subcategories, etc. But what if the number of category levels is potentially
unlimited - what do you do then?

Seems like this must have been dealt with before somewhere, and any suggestions
and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Leo Kokin