[nycphp-talk] Multipage forms -- sessions or hidden variables

Rick Olson rolson at aeso.org
Fri Sep 8 12:43:40 EDT 2006

Main issue with the builtin session handling is that those sessions
expire... so you'd run into problems where someone was putting stuff
into their cart, then got up, went into the kitchen, ate some Ramen and
drank a couple cups of coffee with their significant other while talking
about various political issues plaguing our system these days, came back
to finish shopping and check out, and she'd have to start all over again. :(

Rolan Yang mentioned overriding the default session handlers with
MySQL.  That is also an option, but you need to configure it right and
make sure none of that information expires to the point of the client
not being able to access their cart anymore.

Hidden form variables aren't a very good idea, it's quite difficult to
work with, especially if they don't follow the flow you _think_ they
will follow.  People don't necessarily add something to their cart, then
check out immediately.  They are likely to click other links, browse
around, or even to go another site and come back to yours later.  All of
those things would be very hard to maintain with hidden form variables.

In the past I've handled it in a number of ways.  One way is to set a
cookie on their end with a unique "Shopping Cart ID", and have it expire
in say a day or two or thirty (and store their current cart in the
database).  You also need a way to validate that that shopping cart
belongs to the user that claims it belongs to, so you don't end up with
some dork hijacking someone elses cart and screwing with it.  Another is
to force them to register on your site before they can check out.

There are plenty of other ways as well, depends on how complex you want
to make it and how popular it's going to be.

~
Rick Olson