[nycphp-talk] File upload form

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Sat Sep 16 08:52:54 EDT 2006

Hi,

	this one is not squarely on topic with PHP, but I will use it with a PHP
script, so hopefully this counts. I like to get some more control over file
uploads. I am currently working on a small project for managing picture and
videos for display on the web (yes, I know there are bazillions out there,
but mine is better ;) ). One adds a picture by uploading the file to
server. I want to filter the upload by file extension on the client side.
The HTML input "file" is implemented quite crappy and leaves the interface
at the mercy of the browser. Is there any way to get some more smarts into
the browse box for file uploads? There isn't much merit in having someone
upload a huge file that is clearly not an image just to throw it away. I
tried some of the JavaScripts that I could find on the web, but I have no
clue what they are doing and from my empirical evidence they don't do a
thing, at least not with FiFo.

	Any advice is greatly appreciated.

		David