[nycphp-talk] Frameworks under Subversion control ...

Baer, Jon jbaer at VillageVoice.com
Mon Sep 18 11:55:10 EDT 2006

I have a question on how others are handling their 3rd party frameworks
... Specifically the ones under some type of version control (and when
your code itself is under version control).  There was a recent security
fix for CakePHP and an ~svn up~ provided the quickest way to get to the
fix*.

The problem w/ this is that there are potentials for breakage under your
unit tests (or just your code if you don't do test cases).  If you have
a lot of code between the revisions of your last framework update it can
be cumbersome to check everything.

Would tagging your code based on major framework updates (1.x.x.x) be
the best solution in case something goes awry?

Im also thinking of symlinking across the framework versions as another
alternative ... Just wondering how others might be handling it ...

- - Jon

*On a side note Ive heard of mixed effects of using svn:externals
(albeit an svn upgrade, etc) and still not sure if it is the best
option.