[nycphp-talk] Client vs. Server programming

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Thu Sep 21 19:05:50 EDT 2006

At 05:37 PM 9/21/2006, you wrote:
>I've spent some time developing proficiency in JavaScript and AJAX. Every time
>I try to go to the server PHP programming, I end up scratching my head asking
>why would anybody program on the server?
>
>So what are the advantages of server programming? What what am I missing?
>
>Thanks
>
>Leo Kokin

 From my point of view, PHP is darn easy and very popular. I hate
programming and I attended classes for C64 Basic (yep!), Logo, ANSI C,
Assembler, VB6, VB.NET, and Java. C64 BASIC was about what I could wrap my
brain around, all other languages are just plain awful, especially Java.
And then came PHP across my way and it just works for me. I think of the
english verb for the task I want to do and usually that is the keyword to
use. I did spend some time on learning the basics of HTML, which wasn't
fun, but necessary.
Of course, I could use some client side scripting, but JavaScript and such
as just so, well, ununderstandable for someone like me who is more
proficient in talking to people than abstract programming objects.

Even with all the drawbacks, I think PHP is awesome and server side
programming just asks for a little bit more thinking sometimes....to find
out that it won't work, sometimes. Besides that, you can do AJAX using PHP.

         David K.