[nycphp-talk] Scaling Web Apps WAS Re: PHP Web Frameworks

Paul Houle paul at devonianfarm.com
Sun Apr 8 22:11:16 EDT 2007

Rob Marscher wrote:

> Is anyone here using virtual servers?  It seems to have some nice
> benefits in terms of being able to easily move them between physical
> boxes and scale them up to more ram/cpu.  However, I've heard that you
> lose some performance and am trying to figure out when it's worth it.
> I'm talking about virtual server's at the kernel level... like Xen.

    A great aid to scalability.

    My personal web sites are hosted on a "virtual private server"
account where I get to have a lot of control over my Apache,  MySQL and
PHP installation.  For a $20 a month I can host an unlimited number of
virtual hosts.  I've got plenty of bandwidth and CPU -- but not so much
RAM.  The system administrators have occasionally moved my virtual
server to a different physical server.  They can do this in a few
minutes and there's never a hitch.

    If my site gets more traffic,  I can contact Westhost and they could
quickly move me to a better server,  with the dedicated resources I
need.  I can quickly provision new servers to build a cluster,  a
dedicated e-mail server,  or staging and development servers.  If my
traffic drops,  I can move to a cheaper hosting plan.