[nycphp-talk] Scaling Web Apps WAS Re: PHP Web Frameworks

Jon Baer jonbaer at jonbaer.com
Mon Apr 9 08:22:35 EDT 2007

All the cool kids are running Amazon EC2 Xen-based servers if you
want to just give it a try :-)

I don't think you lose much performance when you "slice" it right
(another science altogether).  I think there is a misconception that
one can take > 8+ app/db/web servers and stack them on one box and
have them run like they would expect if it was dedicated.

A good example of virtualized power is the MyEC2Manager written in PHP.
http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/servlet/KbServlet/
downloadImage/442-102-14/ec2-manager.gif

When PHP apps themselves are written w/ virtualization in mind is
when it will get very interesting.  Imagine something like:

function job($queue) {
   // can I handle all of it?  If not fire up another x instances to
help me out //
}

On top of all that there is an identical Firefox extension I use for
EC2 instances ...
http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/entry.jspa?entryID=609

Good stuff :-)

- Jon