[nycphp-talk] SQL Full text searcing and storing

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Mon Apr 16 10:16:41 EDT 2007

At 9:21 AM -0400 4/16/07, Ben Sgro \(ProjectSkyline\) wrote:

>One question I still have is about building/rebuilding the indexes.
>Is this done when new fields are added to the database?
>Or a routine that needs to be done more often?

My understanding (I could be wrong) is that every time you add more
data, you have to rebuild the index to be able to use FULL TEXT.
However, that doesn't need to be done until the next search.

So, what I'm thinking is to set a dirty flag that will be true if
data has been added and false if the index is up to date and then
have the indexing triggered by a search request. However, I'm still
working on it, so there may be better ways to do this.

Anyone care to comment?

Cheers,

tedd

--