[nycphp-talk] Subscription Billing and Querying account status

Rolan Yang rolan at omnistep.com
Mon Apr 30 11:53:08 EDT 2007

Ben Sgro (ProjectSkyline) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using paypal to take CC payments from clients.
>
> One of our products, is subscription based, and I need to be able to
> check if the client has paid for the month. And if not, I'd like to
> suspend
> access.
>
> Can this be done w/paypal.
>
> If not, what type of E-Commerce or Merchant account allows that?

Paypal recurring payments/subscriptions combined with IPN works well,
( https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/xcl/rec/subscr-intro-outside )
The only downside to using the paypal subscriptions is when you need to
modify the amount to be charged (upgrades? downgrades?) It is a real
pain. To do that, most people just cancel their existing subscription
and sign up with the new plan.

You could also obtain a regular merchant account and use a processor
like authorize.net
The break even point between authorize.net and Paypal is somewhere
around 150 transactions at an average of $20/transaction per month.
Above that, paypal becomes more expensive.

~Rolan