[nycphp-talk] Many pages: one script

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Mon Aug 6 21:54:04 EDT 2007

Rob Marscher rmarscher-at-beaffinitive.com |nyphp dev/internal group
use| wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2007, at 7:28 PM, inforequest wrote:
>
>> For me (a search engine optimizer) the core questions come later...
>> how does that MVC front controller handle "exceptions" like:
>> /news/2007 (missing params) -> should 301 to default URL like /news/
>> 2007/01/01/ or throw a 404
>
> Unless you have a separate virtual resource that shows an archive of
> news for 2007 and not the january 1 entries, right?
>
>> /news/2007/07/07 (no trailing slash) -> 301 to trailing slash
>> version /news/2007/07/07/
>
> John, how important is this?  I think a former discussion on the list
> mentioned that most search engines are ok with the trailing slash vs.
> no trailing slash going to the same resource.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Rob

If you are consistent on your site, so you always use trailing slash or
not, Google says it will handle things properly.

But what if you have great indexing on /news/, and people linking to you
on /news/, but /news returns the same content? Now what if I link to
/news from a high power web site. Will Google decide to "value" the
/news over the /news/ version? Will it drop the "duplicate" at /news/
even though it has your backlinks?

Another consideration - what if half the world links to your /news/ and
the other half to /news. Is your incoming "link juice" being split
across the two unique URLs? Would you benefit more if the /news was a
301 redirect to /news/ (where a 301 redirect is followed by Google,
including the flow of link juice?)

I believe it is best to leave these matters up to the webmaster, not the
webmaster's competitors nor the Google engineers.

--=john

Your web server traffic log file is the most important source of web business information available. Do you know where your logs are right now? Do you know who else has access to your log files? When they were last archived? Where those archives are? --John Andrews Competitive Webmaster and SEO Blogging at http://www.johnon.com