XML vs. rel DBs [was: Re: [nycphp-talk] Many pages: one script]

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Thu Aug 9 11:18:25 EDT 2007

csnyder wrote:
> On 8/8/07, Elliotte Harold <elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
>

>> Some relational databases have added non-relational, fulltext search
>> extensions to their products just as some have added non-relational XML
>> extensions. These are adequate for simple uses, if you don't push them
>> too hard. However they are completely incapable of carrying out queries
>> like, "Give me the title and first paragraph of every chapter of this
>> book" (something Safari routinely does) because they don't see the
>> structure of a document, only the text.

Select title
          ,SUBSTRING(text ...insert regexp here...)
  from chapters
 where book_name = 'XML in a Nutshell'

Rusty, you appear to be arguing from ignorance, very unusual coming from
you.

The true difference between us in this argument is that I understand
that I have a prejudice for relational over hierarchical, based on my
knowledge and use of both, and based on judgment calls as to how to get
through the day.  I daresay however that you are promoting a religious
favoring of XML w/o a working knowledge of the alternatives.

You simply cannot defend a file format as a foundation for frameworks
and databases.  The best you can do is defend the model, such as the
hierarchical model.

Going further, you cannot defend a file format as a foundation for
anything based on how it handles large text (or binary) fields.  There
are three issues here:

-> Data model, hierarchical vs. relational.
-> File format, XML vs YAML or JSON or any other format you like
-> Handling of large text (and binary) columns.

Finally, if we can all admit that XML is just a file format, then the
entire framework crumbles as soon as somebody comes up with a better
one, because let's admit it, XML is just about the worst you're going to
find.

In conclusion, the examples you provide appear to give advantage to XML
because tools exist to handle data that has been buried in opaque
formats and poorly defined structures.  If the data had been structured
properly in the first place and put into formats that were not so
opaque, using (pardon me for saying) a *real* database, designed on
solid principles, the examples you give become child's play.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.