[nycphp-talk] Is there something wrong with this SQL query in PHP?

Brian O'Connor gatzby3jr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 08:34:58 EDT 2007

>From what I understand, it's all queries that need this protection, not just
INSERT/UPDATE.

One example that Brian Dailey gave was with your original query

$query = "SELECT * FROM `jobsdb` WHERE `id` =".$_POST['id']."";

Someone could supply in $_POST['id']:

1; DROP `jobsdb`;

This could easily be transferred to:

SELECT * FROM `jobsdb` WHERE `id` = ".$_POST['id']."";
and $_POST['id'] could still contain 1; DROP `jobsdb`

 thus the full query would result in

SELECT * FROM `jobsdb` WHERE `id`=1; DROP `jobsdb`

This is my understanding however, and I could be wrong.  Any clarification
on the subject would be nice.

On 8/15/07, Anthony Wlodarski <aw at sap8.com> wrote:

> I ran a test (just added a SQL command, harmless one in a text field) to
> see
> what happens on SQL injection, without proper slashing or escaping
> (addslashes/mysql_real_escape_string).  I like mysql_real... cause it
> takes
> the guess work out of making the data safe.  Thanks everyone for the brief
> lesson on the dangers of this (now I get to go back to all my
> INSERT/UPDATE
> queries and add this functionality, better safe than sorry).
>
> Anthony Wlodarski
> Senior Technical Recruiter
> Shulman Fleming & Partners
> 646-285-0500 x230