[nycphp-talk] [OT]: flatiron office sublet available

Dan Cech dcech at phpwerx.net
Wed Aug 15 14:37:01 EDT 2007

Rob Marscher wrote:
> On Aug 15, 2007, at 1:43 PM, Dan Cech wrote:
>> 2. When starting a new topic please don't do so by replying to an
>> unrelated email, and especially not one 8 months old.  Is it so much
>> effort to type an email address in the To: field?
> It seems to me that this is a new topic... at least it shows up
> separately in my threaded email view in Mac Mail.  It also shows as a
> new topic in the list archive threaded view:
> http://lists.nyphp.org/pipermail/talk/2007-August/thread.html

>From the original message:

> To: NYPHP Talk <talk at lists.nyphp.org>

The OT post was created by opening a reply to a message posted on
12/8/2006 by Anirudh Zala on an unrelated topic, then deleting the
subject and all content.  Sadly, this does not clear out the References
and In-Reply-To headers shown above.

While there are no doubt many clients and applications which are not
affected by these headers, the fact is that many modern mail clients (eg
Thunderbird) do use them to track conversations though the subject may
change, as well as following individual threads within a conversation.

The simple fix is to create a new message when you are creating a new
thread, rather than trying to 'recycle' an old one.

Dan