[nycphp-talk] Webserver file access

Mark Armendariz lists at enobrev.com
Fri Aug 17 11:53:06 EDT 2007

csnyder wrote:
> On 8/17/07, Donna Marie Vincent <donnamarievincent at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> In order to upload files to the website, I have to do this:
>>
>> 1. Use WinSCP to log in to the server as myself and transfer files from my
>> PC to my home directory on the server.
>>
>> 2. Use PuTTY to log in to the server as myself, then su as root, and from
>> the command line move the files from my home directory to the website's
>> directory.
>>
> $ svn commit -m "Important bugfixes" myproject
>
> Now ssh to webserver:
>
> $ su -
> # cd /usr/local/myproject
> # svn up
>
> The part about no ftp access and no root login is not unreasonable,
> it's standard practice for many production systems. The part where you
> move files around rather than using version control is a recipe for
> disaster.

Couldn't agree more.  Consider looking into Bazaar (distributed version
control).  Once you've set it up on your desktop and server, you can:

$ bzr -ci -m "Important bugfixes"
$ bzr push
// which will use your 'remembered' sftp address

// and then on the server,
# bzr pull
// which grabs the latest from the 'remembered' home directory

Bazaar: http://bazaar-vcs.org/

Mark