[nycphp-talk] Tuning MySQL Full Text Search

Rob Marscher rmarscher at beaffinitive.com
Wed Aug 22 13:12:55 EDT 2007

On Aug 22, 2007, at 12:42 PM, Ben Sgro ((ProjectSkyLine)) wrote:
> Hello Rob,
> I'm happy w/the relevance, but the order isn't right
What do you mean by that?  I thought you were sorting by relevance?

> too many results are being returned (which is my own issue to fix).
Can you just apply a limit to the query?

> Without the BOOLEAN, the results were really off, minimal results
> and not that accurate.
Maybe this is because boolean searches don't use the 50% threshold: ""

> There is also the problem where common words, aren't returning
> anything, such as a search for
> "water". It should however, since the water keyword is very
> frequent throughout the site.
Weird... that would be in line with the 50% threshold... but you're
using boolean, so it shouldn't apply.  Maybe try rebuilding the index?

Also... boolean searches do have an operator (< or >) to increase or
decrease a word's weight:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-boolean.html