[nycphp-talk] Frameworks - Which best fits my development style?

Paul M Jones pmjones88 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 17:36:59 EDT 2007

On Aug 22, 2007, at 11:53 AM, Ben Sgro ((ProjectSkyLine)) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I know there has been a ton of discussion about frameworks.
>
> I use smarty templates for all my HTML.  My php is 5w/OOP. I have
> many libraries from everything
> from database access, sitemap creation, html (textboxes, drop
> downs), simple ajax, error logging,
> session handling, (all created by myself) and I use PEAR SOMETIMES
> as to not reinvent the wheel
> for a single project.
> I guess I don't see the compelling reason to switch to a framework.

(Full disclosure: I am the author of the Solar framework for PHP.)

Not to be flippant, but it looks like you have built a framework of
your own already.

I am not surprised that you don't see a compelling reason to use
something else.  You have a familia way-of-working in tools and
techniques, and you don't want to change those to suit someone else's
way-of-working (which is perfectly fair).

To be clear, you won't be switching from "no-framework" to another
one, but from "your-framework" to another one.  Changing to another
framework (one written by someone else) will require you to change
your approach and habits, and that sucks; just ask Laura Thomson.

   <http://www.laurathomson.com/2007/07/do-all-framewor.html>

I know that doesn't help much. :-/

--

Paul M. Jones  <http://paul-m-jones.com>

Solar: Simple Object Library and Application Repository
for PHP5.  <http://solarphp.com>

Join the Solar community wiki!  <http://solarphp.org>

Savant: The simple, elegant, and powerful solution for
templates in PHP.  <http://phpsavant.com>