[nycphp-talk] how did you learn php?

Cliff Hirsch cliff at pinestream.com
Mon Aug 27 11:12:58 EDT 2007

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 11:01:09 -0400, Mitch Pirtle wrote
> On 8/26/07, Anthony <speel3k at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey, i'm kinda new around here and just tinkering around with php. My
> > question to you guys is how did you learn? by reading or by taking apart
> > scripts and adding your own style or what? I'm very curious.

> So rolling up
> your sleeves and diving in might be the fastest way to get you on the
> road, so to speak.

But...what are you trying to accomplish? Tinkering? Developing an application?
When I started, regretfully, there really weren't any frameworks. Now I'm in
way over my head and constantly debate the merits of switching to a framework
versus hobbling along with my own "framework".

For tinkering, sure, learn and play with php. This is a wicked cool tool:
http://www.hping.org/phpinteractive/
Install it, play with it, experiment with code snippets in it. Instant feedback.

But if you want to develop a full-bore application, please don't roll your own
-- learn a framework while you are learning php.

Clif