[nycphp-talk] xampp and MySQL problems

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Mon Dec 24 11:59:42 EST 2007

Michael Southwell wrote:
> After a new install of xampp on Windows, I am having trouble getting
> MySQL running properly, and therefore also phpMyAdmin. Apache is
°snip°
> somewhere).  Can anybody help?

First thing I'd do is check if the service is running (My Computer > Manage >
Services and Applications > Services). If the service is running, echk the
details of it and see if it really is running the executable that you think it
should be running. I once installed XAMPP without making sure that a different
instance was properly uninstalled. The new install went to a different
directory and that was a problem. You should also see any MySQL service
related problems in the application and / or system log.
If you can't see anything wrong there, get the admin tools from MySQL and use
those. While I do like phpMyAdmin I also found it to not work properly at some
times without any real reason. Besides that, it can't do several things or at
least makes them to be fairly complicated compared to MySQL's own tools (which
aren't great either, Luckasoft's MySQL client is much better as are many others).
If you cannot connect using these tools I recommend to uninstall XAMPP again,
make sure that all the services are wiped out, delete any residue in the file
system, reboot, and then try again. If all that still does not work and the
service cannot start, check if there is anything else running on the port. If
not, you could also try to install a bare MySQL to see if there is anything
wrong with the XAMPP install, which I somewhat doubt as our friends from
Berlin typically do an awesome job.

Beyond that, I don't know what else other than to suspect that your Windows
install is missing some substantial pieces. Before reformatting the drive you
want to dig deeper and find out what is going on. Do you use that system for
anything else? Although radical, reinstalling the whole system may be faster
in the end (this is why I always have a ghost image floating around that makes
that a bit easier). I am sure you find the problem before looking at this
option. Unlike MS SQL / SQL Express installing MySQL was always a piece of cake.

HTH,

David