[nycphp-talk] Writing Database Agnostic Code

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Thu Feb 15 14:47:02 EST 2007

Jiju Thomas Mathew wrote:

>       > In general, good SQL is good SQL, no matter what the platform is.
>
>     True, but not every platform delivers the same results when sending it
>     good SQL.
>

> David
> Can you explain.. I got only exposure with MySQL..
>
> --
> Jiju Thomas Mathew
> http://www.php-trivandrum.org

 From my experience, MSSQL and MySQL potentially give you different
results for the same SQL query. Or one gives you an empty set whereas
the other throws an error. It comes down to what the interpretation of
the required result is based on the perfectly fine SQL query. Whereas
MySQL tends to be more to the SQL standard, MSSQL knows more SQL and
SQLish dialects so that you can do more with less.

My point was that it doesn't come down to just good SQL.