[nycphp-talk] Writing Database Agnostic Code

irfan baig irfanbaig78 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 14:23:35 EST 2007

On 2/15/07, Daniel Convissor <danielc at analysisandsolutions.com> wrote:

> > In the past, I've always used MySQL or Oracle, but mostly MySQL. Each
> SQL
> > distribution has its own peculiar ways of doing some things, and I know
> that
> > using some of the MySQL functions makes the code far easier to write and
> > also optimizes the speed of the query.
>
> In general, good SQL is good SQL, no matter what the platform is.
>
> The question you need to face is how important performance is vs how
> important portability is.  The answer depends on what you're doing.
>
> --Dan

I think a truly kickass abstraction lib would identify these dbms-specific
optimal (or weak) points for each of its supported dbmses and add methods to
its API to deal with them as appropriate for the selected one. That way,
developers only have to keep in mind the abstraction lib's API, instead of
peculiarities of each dbms.

--
Best,
Irfan Baig