[nycphp-talk] PHP and running background tasks...

Rolan Yang rolan at omnistep.com
Sat Feb 24 22:06:26 EST 2007

I did something similar a while back where if a user submitted a stock
symbol it would fetch the quotes from yahoo within their search range,
but also launch a background process which would fetch daily quotes for
the entire history of that particular stock. In the php script, I had
something like:

`./backgroundgetquote.php $symbol > /dev/null &`;

which would fetch and cache the data for all future requests.

The downside to this was that there was nothing in place to stop 1000's
of unique hits from running the cpu load through the roof.

~Rolan