[nycphp-talk] Thoughts on using JavaScript with no progressive fall-back

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Mon Feb 26 21:17:06 EST 2007

Cliff Hirsch cliff-at-pinestream.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

>On 2/26/07 6:28 PM, "csnyder" <chsnyder at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 2/26/07, Cliff Hirsch <cliff at pinestream.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm seeing more and more applications that simply do not work if JavaScript
>>>is turned off. In fact, I'm looking at purchasing a slick shopping cart that
>>>seems great, but I think the lack of progressive fallback is a show stopper.
>>>

>>I'm a big fan of the "unobtrusive" approach, where you build
>>interfaces in Plain Old HTML + CSS and then use wicked DOM mojo to
>>convert them into rich applications on the client. If Javascript isn't
>>available, everything still works but with a lot more clicking.
>>
>>As an example, to add an inline audio player on a page, I'll send this
>>to the browser:

>>audio</a>
>>
>>A window.onload event calls a javascript method that gets all <a>
>>elements with class="audioplayer", and replaces them with a
>>flash-based audio player, using the href attribute as the source of
>>the audio.
>>
>>Without javascript and flash, you get a dumb link. With those evil
>>twins, you get a rich multimedia experience. As a bonus, the dumb link
>>is (in theory) accessible to screen readers, which seems especially
>>important for this particular example.
>>

>So far...a great discussion. See, I knew nobody had a strong opinion. In
>theory, I am a fan of the progressive enhancement strategy. Reality is what
>bits.
>
>Example:
>Do I buy X-Cart and add "Web 2.0" enhancements.
>Or do I buy CS-Cart, a "next-genish" X-Cart, and make fallback work.
>It's never simple.
>
>BTW, DOM mojo? Yet another framework? I've heard of moca, but mojo? Must be
>a New York thing. "Wicked"? I though only us Bostonians said that.
>
>PSBTW -- for Chris, I have added my comment at the bottom!

Why would someone develop a "next-gen" x-cart that satisfy x-cart users?
That's like a parallel gen, not a next gen. A next gen is supposed to be
better.

Probably best not to pursue the origins of the term mojo any further.

Your web server traffic log file is the most important source of web business information available. Do you know where your logs are right now? Do you know who else has access to your log files? When they were last archived? Where those archives are? --John Andrews Competitive Webmaster and SEO Blogging at http://www.johnon.com