[nycphp-talk] Thoughts on using JavaScript with no progressive fall-back

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Mon Feb 26 21:26:41 EST 2007

Chris Snyder wrote:
> I'm a big fan of the "unobtrusive" approach, where you build
> interfaces in Plain Old HTML + CSS and then use wicked DOM
> mojo to convert them into rich applications on the client. If
> Javascript isn't available, everything still works but with a
> lot more clicking.

This is exactly the approach I like to take, but it can still be tricky.
(For me anyway - my interface fu is weak.)

What's the best-of-breed solution for changing a regular form submission
button to initiate an Ajax call instead of submitting the form? I've got
a hacky solution that involves rewriting the button, adding an
onsubmit() action, and trying to keep it from submitting the form in IE,
but it feels like there must be a more elegant solution.

Chris

--
Chris Shiflett
http://shiflett.org/